MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's lacrosse team fell to the Mocs of Florida Southern, 25-14, in a non-conference NCAA Division II showdown at Ray McDonald Sr. Track & Field/Lacrosse Complex in Mount Olive, N.C. Jordan Shughrue led the Trojans with six goals on eight shots, seven of which came on goal.
Score: No. 1 Florida Southern 25, Mount Olive 14
Records: Mount Olive (9-3), No. 1 Florida Southern (12-0)
Location: Ray McDonald Sr. Track & Field/Lacrosse Complex | Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- FSC opened the game scoring the first five goals taking a 5-0 lead in the opening six minutes.
- Mount Olive went on a 3-2 scoring drive putting the score 7-3 at the 17-minute mark. Kiara Burke tallied the first Trojan goal, while Shughrue scored the other two, all three were unassisted goals off free position shots.
- Florida Southern countered the Trojan goals with four consecutive shots to the back of the net going ahead by eight goals, 11-3, with 11:55 remaining in the half.
- In the final 11:19 of the half, UMO went on a 6-2 rally that closed the point gap to four goals, 13-9, as the teams entered halftime. Burke had three goals, Jackie Kaderabek tallied two and Shughrue added one during the run.
- The second half was controlled by the Mocs as they scored 12 goals to the Trojans five.
- Shughrue led the half with three goals while Burke and Michaela Ciciarelli each added one.
- Jordan Shughrue led the Trojans with six goals on eight shots, seven of which came on goal.
- Kiara Burke scored five goals in the game as the second-leading scorer for UMO.
- Samantha Thomson (L: 7-2) picked up the loss in net giving up all 25 goals while recording five saves.
- Jackie Kaderabek tallied two goals in the match while also bringing in five draw controls for Mount Olive.
Mount Olives return to action tomorrow, March 31, as they travel to Spartanburg, S.C. to face Converse College in Conference Carolinas action. First draw is set for 4 p.m. between the Trojans and Valkyries.