MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's lacrosse team defeated the Bees of Savannah College of Art & Design 18-6 in the season-opening contest at the Ray McDonald Sr. Sports Complex in Mount Olive, N.C.
Score: Mount Olive 18, SCAD 6
Records: Mount Olive (1-0), SCAD (1-1)
Location: Ray McDonald Sr. Sports Complex | Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- SCAD got on the scoreboard first but the Trojans knotted the score at one all 18 seconds after on a free-position goal by Kiara Burke.
- Following their first goal, Mount Olive scored four more to go up 5-1 eight minutes into the game.
- The Bees closed the gap to three goals following a free position shot before the Trojans scored three unassisted goals from Meaghan Michaud, Jordan Shughrue, and Burke, to go up 8-2 with 10:30 remaining in the opening half.
- Another free-position goal fell for SCAD, but Shughrue had the final goal of the opening 30 on an assisted pass from Burke to take a 9-3 lead into halftime.
- Kelly Young scored back-to-back unassisted goals to open the second half of action for the Trojans who took an 11-3 lead.
- SCAD scored their fourth goal to cut the lead to seven but Shughrue scored twice, once unassisted and one from a Jackie Kaderabek pass, to put UMO up 13-4.
- Savannah put in back-to-back goals trimming the lead to 13-6 with 18:22 remaining in the game.
- Mount Olive closed out the contest with five unanswered goals to win the game 18-6. Michaud and Kaderabek scored their second goals, Kriston Guerra and Nola Wesche each tallied their first, and Burke added her third of the game in the 5-0 run.
- Jordan Shughrue led the Trojans with four goals on nine shots with eight on frame.
- Kelly Young and Kiara Burke each added a hat trick with three goals apiece.
Mount Olive is back in action on Wednesday, February 13, when the Trojans host the Hawks of Chowan University in the Conference Carolinas season opener. UMO and CU will meet in the center circle at 3 p.m. for first draw.