MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. – The No. 24 Mount Olive Trojans defeated the Valkyries of Converse College 18-4 in Conference Carolinas women's lacrosse action on Senior Day Saturday at the Ray McDonald Sr. Sports Complex in Mount Olive, N.C. Nine seniors were honored prior to the start of the match for their hard work and dedication to the UMO Women's Lacrosse Program.
Score: No. 24 Mount Olive 18 - Converse 4
Records: No. 24 Mount Olive (12-5 | 9-1 CC), Converse (7-9 | 4-6 CC)
Location: Ray McDonald Sr. Sports Complex | Mount Olive, N.C.
How It Happened
- Mount Olive got on the scoreboard first scoring three goals in the opening six minutes. Jackie Kaderabek started the scoring with a goal off a pass from Nola Wesche.
- Jordan Shughrue took advantage of a free position shot putting the Trojans up 2-0, while Meaghan Michaud scored the third goal on a pass in from Kaderabek.
- Converse found their first goal of the match about eight minutes into action putting the score at 3-1.
- Skylar Grady found her first goal of the game off a pass from Kriston Guerra to take a 4-1 lead but the Valkyries scored a minute and a half later to close the lead to two goals 4-2.
- UMO went on a 6-0 run heading into the halftime break with an eight-goal, 10-2, lead. Tiffany Lee, Grady, Kaderabek, and Morgan Nicholson each tallied one goal in the six-goal run while Michaud added two.
- Wesche got the second half started with a goal 68 seconds into action.
- The Valkyries put a third goal on the board putting the score at 11-3 before the Trojans put three consecutive goals up from Wesche, Keely Trail, and Grady, taking a 14-3 lead with 18:14 to play.
- A goal by the Valkyries closed the gap to ten goals, 14-4, but UMO closed out the match with four unanswered goals to win 18-4. Lee, Wesche, Shughrue, and Grady each collected one of the final four goals.
- Skylar Grady led the Trojans with four goals on the day. Meaghan Michaud and Nola Wesche each added three of their own to collect a hat trick as well.
- Jordan Shughrue, Tiffany Lee, and Jackie Kaderabek all added a pair of goals with Keely Trail and Morgan Nicholson adding a single goal each.
- Samantha Thomson and Siena Miller each played a half of lacrosse between the pipes giving up two goals apiece while making one and four saves respectively.
Mount Olive returns to action on Monday, April 22, in the quarterfinal match of the Conference Carolinas Women's Lacrosse Championship tournament. The No. 24 Trojans will host the Warriors of Southern Wesleyan for a 4 PM match at the Ray McDonald Sr. Sports Complex. The winning team will progress to the semifinals on Thursday, April 25, hosted by the University of Mount Olive.