Women's Soccer Suffers 2-1 Double Overtime Loss At Limestone

Women's Soccer Suffers 2-1 Double Overtime Loss At Limestone

Nichole Poppe scored the tying goal midway through the second half, but a corner kick goal in the 107th minute was the difference as University of Mount Olive fell to Limestone College 2-1 in double overtime in Conference Carolinas women's soccer Saturday at Gaffney, S.C. The loss snapped the Trojans' six-match unbeaten streak in conference play. Both of Mount Olive's conference losses this season have come against the two teams unbeaten in conference play.

After Mount Olive (7-5-2 overall, 6-2-2 Conference Carolinas) outshot Limestone 2-1 in a scoreless first half, both teams tallied double digits in shot attempts in the second half. Trojan goalkeeper Stephanie McCoy recorded two of her six saves on point blank attempts 24 seconds apart during the first minute-plus of the second half. McCoy made an acrobatic kick save on one shot and dove on another shot to slap the ball away just before it reached the goal line inside of the right post.

Limestone (13-1-0, 10-0-0) broke the deadlock at the 61:47 mark off of one of its 10 corner kicks. The Trojans blocked a shot attempt from inside the box, but Ashton Bowles captured a loose ball and scored from 15 yards out to give the Saints a 1-0 lead.

The Trojans capitalized on a pair of Saints turnovers to even the score five minutes later. Malika Connor took the ball away inside the Limestone half and Mount Olive moved the ball down to the right corner. Limestone was able to thwart a cross attempt into the box, but the clear went right to Poppe, whose shot from the right side slipped past the diving Saints keeper to tie the match 1-1 at 66:08.

Mount Olive narrowly missed taking its first lead of the match in the 79th minute. Ellie Barnes lofted a 20-yard shot over the keeper, but the ball hit the bottom of the crossbar and Limestone was able to clear. The Trojans had the last five shot attempts of regulation, but couldn't find the mark as the match went into overtime.

Both goalkeepers made key plays in the fifth minute of overtime to extend the match. Limestone keeper Mariette Martinez dove to deflect a shot by Poppe from the right side and covered the ball in front of the right post. McCoy followed by stopping a line drive shot from 20 yards out. The Saints had a pair of shots blocked in the final 90 seconds and a shot from just above the box go wide left just before the horn to end the first overtime.

Six-plus minutes into the second overtime, Limestone had a pair of corner kick opportunities 25 seconds apart and the final corner kick would prove to be the winner. Isidora Hernandez set up from the right corner and the ball bent untouched over the Trojan defense and into the top left corner of the goal to end the match.

Mount Olive and Limestone finished the contest with 18 shots attempt. Martinez recorded three saves in goal for the Saints.

Mount Olive returns to action Tuesday as the Trojans travel to Murfreesboro, N.C., to take on Chowan in a non-conference match-up. Match time is 2 p.m.

The Trojans conclude regular season play next Saturday with a Conference Carolinas contest at Emmanuel College.