SUMTER, S.C. - The No. 4 Mount Olive Trojans fell to the No. 2 Lions of Emmanuel College 4-0 on Sunday afternoon in the Championship match of the 2019 Conference Carolinas Women's Tennis Championship Tournament at the Palmetto Tennis Center in Sumter, S.C. Ece Yuksel and Arianna Orozco earned places on the All-Tournament team for their performances throughout the tournament.
Location: Palmetto Tennis Center | Sumter, S.C.
INSIDE THE RESULTS
- The Trojans fell behind early as the Lions won the doubles point after claiming the No. 3 and 1 doubles flights.
- Ece Yuksel and Emma Burroughs fell 6-4 on the NO. 3 doubles match while Arianna Orozco and Lina Maria Alarcon fell 6-3 against Emmanuel's top duo.
- Emmanuel continued to rally as they took the first three singles matches to clinch the 4-0 victory and their first ever championship.
- The No. 2, 3, and 4 flights went unfinished, while the Lions won flights No. 1, 5, and 6.
- Yuksel fell 6-3, 6-2 at No. 1, Carmen Espinos dropped 6-2, 6-0 at No. 5 and Maria Impalea lost 6-2, 6-4 in the No. 6 flight.
- No. 4 University of Mount Olive 12-9 | 9-2 CC
- No. 2 Emmanuel College 16-10 | 12-2 CC
- Conference Carolinas Championship: #2 Emmanuel defeats #4 Mount Olive
2019 All-Tournament Team:
2019 Championship MVP
Chloe O'Connor, Emmanuel
2019 Conference Carolinas Women's Tennis Champion
"We are very proud of both teams this year," said head coach Kevin Coghill. "They all worked very hard and accomplished a lot of goals. We came up a little short with our main goal, but failure is always a possibility when you strive for excellence. We will learn from these losses and come back strong next year. We are grateful for our seniors and appreciate all they have done this year. Thanks to all who have helped us this year; especially assistant coach Chumbley, our trainers, strength coach, athletic administrators, and all of the UMO family!"
The Trojans season comes to a close with the loss to the Lions in the Conference Carolinas Championship match. UMO will return this fall for their individual tournament season and in the spring for the team schedule.