Belmont, N.C. – The University of Mount Olive women's volleyball team dropped a 3-1 match to Belmont Abbey College in Conference Carolinas action Saturday afternoon.
Score: Belmont Abbey 3, Mount Olive 1 (25-18), (21-25), (25-17), (25-22)
Records: Mount Olive 7-6 (2-2); Belmont-Abbey 6-8 (5-1)
Location: Wheeler Center
How It Happened
- The Trojans were doomed by errors in the opening frame, committing a match-high six to the Crusaders' five.
- UMO tied the match at 18-18 before Belmont Abbey ran away with the set with a 7-0 run.
- Mount Olive responded by jumping out to a 7-3 lead.
- The Crusaders bounced back by taking a lead at 13-12 before UMO grabbed the lead right back at 14-13 and never relinquished.
- Four service aces in the set helped power UMO to the 25-21 victory.
- After falling behind 5-2, UMO roared back to take a lead with a 5-1 run.
- Belmont Abbey took control of the set with a 12-1 run that began near the middle portion of the set.
- In what would be the final set, Mount Olive attempted to climb out of an early hole and used a 10-2 run to take a 16-15 lead.
- It appeared the Trojans would force a fifth set holding a 22-20 lead, but Belmont Abbey ended the match with a 5-0 run to secure victory.
- Junior Karley Pounds led the Trojans with 11 kills.
- Freshman Natalie Perez compiled a season-high six block assists.
- Junior Casey Fiechter amassed 20 digs to lead Mount Olive.
- Adding 10 kills with a .421 attacking percentage was junior Mi'Kayla Benson.
The Trojans return to Kornegay Arena for a matchup with Barton College on Tuesday at 7 p.m.