Virginia Beach, Va. – The University of Mount Olive women's volleyball team split on opening day of the 2017 season. UMO won their season opener 3-0 over Kutztown University in three sets, 25-22, 25-19, 26-24, while they fell in three to Alaska Fairbanks, 25-14, 25-17, 27-25.
Game 1 – 3-0 win over Kutztown (25-22, 25-19, 6-24)
- Britni Johnson had 10 kills on 15 attempts to lead the Trojans against Kutztown.
- Both Johnson and Casey Fiechter recorded 12 digs in the match.
- Cyerra Carter has five blocks in her UMO debut.
- Kamber Skeen recorded double digit assists and a handful of kills as she scored several points by pushing the ball over the net catching KU off-guard.
- The Trojans came from two points down, 23-21, and finished the set on a five-to-one run winning the set 26-24 over the Golden Bears.
Game 2 – 3-0 loss to Alaska Fairbanks (25-14, 25-17, 27-25)
- Johnson had another good game with 11 kills on 15 attempts and seven digs in the match.
- Carter collected four kills on eight attempts with five blocks.
- Skeen had 13 assists against the Nonooks.
The Trojans are back in action tomorrow, Sunday, September 3, with games at 9 am and 12 pm against Slippery Rock and Elizabeth State University.