Fayetteville, N.C. - The University of Mount Olive women's volleyball team fell in three sets to Fayetteville State on Tuesday night in a midweek non-conference matchup at Capel Arena in Fayetteville, N.C.
Score: Fayetteville State 3, Mount Olive 0 (25-16, 28-26, 25-12)
Records: Mount Olive 5-6, 2-0; Fayetteville State 6-4, 3-0
Location: Capel Arena
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Broncos got out to an early lead as they went up 15-8 over the Trojans at the first called UMO timeout.
- UMO started a small comeback with Kaitlin Grote back to serve as the Trojans scored four straight points.
- Mount Olive's efforts were a little too late as the Broncos won the first set 25-16.
- A block by Alyssa Gurnell came at the right time to pull the Trojans within one point, 9-8, of the Broncos, who called a timeout to regroup.
- Following the timeout, the match went back and forth as both squads battled for control with the score tying 11 times.
- A pair of Cyerra Carter blocks late in the set gave the Trojans a 24-23 lead.
- Continuing with the theme of the set, the score tilted one way, then went back the other. In the end, the Trojans could not hold off the Broncos who pulled out the second set win with a score of 28-26.
- The Broncos jumped out to an early 9-1 lead.
- Fayetteville State grew their lead to 12 points which ended up being too much for Mount Olive to chip away at resulting in a 25-12 set score and a 3-0 match score in favor of the Broncos.
- The Trojans recorded 13 blocks, with Cyerra Carter tallying six.
UMO returns home to Mount Olive, N.C. for a weekend of Conference Carolinas contests on September 22 and 23. Southern Wesleyan comes to Kornegay Arena on Friday, Sept. 22, for a 7 p.m. match, while North Greenville will face Mount Olive on Saturday, Sept. 23, at 2 p.m.