MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. - The University of Mount Olive women's volleyball team fell in three sets to the Tornado of King University on Friday night in Conference Carolinas action at Kornegay Arena in Mount Olive, N.C. The Trojan attack was led by Ania Keene with six kills while Kamber Skeen and Cyerra Carter tallied five apiece.
Score: King 3, Mount Olive 0 (25-20, 25-23, 25-16)
Records: Mount Olive 2-11, 0-3; King 9-6, 1-1
Location: Mount Olive, N.C. | Kornegay Arena
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King started the match off on a 7-4 run over Mount Olive.
- The Trojans pulled within a point, 16-15, following an 11-9 run that included four kills, one ace by Cyerra Carter and six Tornado errors.
- UMO tied the set at 18 all on back to back kills and a King error.
- King closed out the set on a 7-2 run to take the first set 25-20.
- UMO started the second set off with two kills from Michaela Seawell that helped the Trojans get out to an early 8-5 lead.
- The Tornado came back to tie and take the lead following a 9-1 rally that put the score at 14-9 in King's favor.
- Mount Olive fought back to tie the set at 20 all on an 11-6 run that included five kills, two aces, one each by Carter and Ania Keene, and four King errors.
- King held off the rallying Mount Olive Trojans by closing out the set on a 5-3 run to win 25-23.
- The third set began with four straight King points.
- Four King errors and a kill by Brittany Barnett pulled the Trojans within three points trailing 8-5.
- Mount Olive called timeout as King took a 13-6 lead, but the Trojans responded with a 5-1 run of their own to pull back within three points, 14-11.
- UMO scored five more points in the set but the Tornado held on to their lead to win the third and final set 25-16.
- Ania Keene led the attack with six kills while also accumulating eight digs on the night.
- Cyerra Carter and Kamber Skeen each had five kills.
- Skeen led in assists with 13 while Kaitlin Grote tallied seven.
- Andrea Rivera-Reyes led all players with 19 digs.
Mount Olive takes to the road as the team heads to Fayetteville, N.C., in a non-conference match against Fayetteville State on Tuesday, Oct. 2. The Trojans and Lady Broncos are set for a first serve time of 6:00 P.M. in a match that was rescheduled due to Hurricane Florence.