MOUNT OLIVE, N.C. - The University of Mount Olive women's volleyball team defeated the Broncos of Fayetteville State in four sets on Tuesday evening in non-conference action at Fayetteville State in Fayetteville, N.C.
Score: Mount Olive 3, Fayetteville State 1 (17-25, 25-11, 25-17, 25-19)
Records: Mount Olive 3-11; Fayetteville State 2-9
Location: Fayetteville, N.C.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Trojans started the match by opening up a 7-3 lead over the Broncos on three kills and four Bronco errors.
- FSU battled back on an 8-4 rally to tie and take a one-point lead, 11-10, over UMO.
- The teams battled for control of the scoreboard tying the set three times, last at 14 all, before the Broncos took a 21-15 lead following a 7-1 run.
- UMO could not hold off Fayetteville State who took the opening set 25-17.
- Four UMO kills and an FSU error gave the Trojans a 5-2 lead to open the second set.
- Mount Olive pulled ahead by six points to take an 11-5 lead following three Trojan kills and three Bronco errors which forced an FSU timeout.
- The Trojan lead grew to 10 points putting the score at 20-10 as UMO went on a 9-5 rally where the team recorded six kills, an ace and two Bronco errors.
- UMO closed out the set on a 5-1 run that finished with a Kaitlin Grote ace to win the second set 25-11 and tie the match up at one set each.
- The third set began with the Trojans taking an early 8-3 lead over the Broncos.
- UMO increased their lead to eight points, 16-8, following a 6-5 rally that included four kills, two each by Ania Keene and Kamber Skeen, a Kaitlin Grote ace and two FSU errors.
- Mount Olive continued to roll through the third set as they closed out the set with seven kills and two FSU errors in a 9-9 run to win 25-17. MaKayla Huber tallied three kills, while Keene had two and Cyerra Carter and Skeen each tallied one.
- The fourth set began on a more even note as the two teams traded points with the score knotting up six times, last at seven all before the Trojans took a four-point lead, 11-7, that led to an FSU timeout. Three Keene kills, two Skeen and one from Andrea Rivera-Reyes contributed to the Trojan lead.
- Mount Olive held a 19-12 lead midway through the fourth set from four Bronco errors, and four kills, two from Huber and one each by Skeen and Rivera-Reyes.
- UMO closed out the set on a 6-7 run to win 25-19 and the match, 3-1. Three kills and three errors contributed to the Trojans run that closed out the set.
- MaKayla Huber and Ania Keene each tallied 14 kills in the match.
- Keene tallied a double-double as she added 10 digs on the night along with two blocks.
- Kamber Skeen was a kill shy of a double-double herself as she recorded nine kills and 21 assists as well as seven digs and two blocks.
Mount Olive continues their long road trip as they head to South Carolina for a pair of Conference Carolinas matches against Converse and Limestone. The Trojans take on the Valkyries on Friday, Oct. 6, at 7 p.m. in Spartanburg, S.C., and follow with a 2 p.m. match on Saturday, Oct. 7, in Gaffney, S.C., against the Saints of Limestone College.